Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wire Sculpture Artist in Residency at the Carrboro ArtsCenter



Well, we survived Wire Camp, yet again! No one got their an eye poked out, thanks to our vigilance and practice of good safety.

As I had expected, the younger after school students were a little bit too spastic to very successful.
Not that many of them did not try (and a few of those succeeded!)

But we did have some glorious accomplishments from the older group!


One obstacle that I encountered, was that wire can be hard to see. I found that it was difficult for the students to see my wire while demonstrating techniques. And also, because the tables in the Arts Center's Jane Filer Painting Studio's are so (duely) covered with paint, it becomes difficult to see what you are doing, even 2 feet in front of you. To solve these problems, I elected to use some large electric wire, coated in red plastic, which I could hold up against a clean(ish) white wall, during my demonstrations. I also coated the draped the tables with butcher paper, which made a huge difference in reducing the visual clutter, which can at a height when working with wire (even with no paint splatters on your work surface).  


Unfortunately, the younger campers especially showed such an unquenchable thirst for tearing holes in this surface, that I had to wonder a) what is it in a child that abhors clean white surfaces?.. and b) perhaps a paper destroying workshop would be more successful..






















These gals got into the electric wire!













No comments:

Post a Comment